From Vision - Multimedia Education
Personal Video project
Workshop example Short report: 3-5 Minutes
- Time: 4-6 Days
- A Media Trainer
- A Video Camera including
- Tripod and Microphone
- An editing station (Computer) including editing software and speakers
- A projector + Screen
- Flip chart + Marker
- 3 - 5 Participants (14 - 100 years old)
- A Room
That is big enough!
- Camera (What is a camera & how does it work)
- Graphic rules (How to build up pictures properly)
*Composition (How do you compose shots) *Light design (What kind of lighting do you need) (optional)
- Sound design (How to work with sound)
*Audio engineering (How to combine all sound devices) (optional)
- Basics of journalism (How to write for TV reports)
- Dramaturgy (How to build up a report)
- Editing (How to edit a movie and use editing software)
*Web TV (How to present your material on the
General Structure of the Workshop:
All content that is taught during the workshop should be practiced immediately: e.g.:
- Theoretical input : How to set up an interview situation
- Practice: Participants set up an interview situation and interview each other, with changing roles (camera, sound, interviewer, interviewed) Trainer steps back, only helps when hes asked for it.
- Analyzing: Participants and Trainer watch and analyze the recordings together, they discuss together what can be improved and what was good. Regarding to the product itself and the process.
Like that the participants can learn from their own mistakes and will not forget the learned so fast.
Educational objectives pursued:
Group work fosters the personal and social competences:
- Interaction with other Group members
- learn to participate actively in the process of learning and producing
- finding ones place in a Group
- building self esteem on showing own skills
- unwind by having the feeling of “being needed”
- Critical Media use! By producing an ow report, participants experience how TV / Video is made. They get to know the possibilities of manipulation in media.
- Understanding Video Production Processes fosters the general understanding of the modern “digital” world.
- Getting to know various possibilities to create media with hands, brain and technique.
Development of Personal Skills
- Finding ways to express themselves with media /using creativity
- Dealing with a certain topic. e.g. the Topic of the report is “Immigration”: Participants will learn about Immigration through the researches and the interviews they will have to do, to produce the report.
- Expressing own point of view
- building self esteem on developing skills
- The atmosphere in the group should be friendly and patient.
- Participant need time to understand processes and to try things out themselves.
- Specially when it comes to technique (camera + editing program) each of the participants has to try it with own hands to understand.
- Keep in Mind: Some people need longer to understand than others.
- Let them do mistakes and let them learn from their own mistakes.
- The workshop should be as interactive as possible, the more the participants feel like being part of the production , the more they will be active and motivated.