Personal Video Project
From Vision - Multimedia Education
Your vision in action
WHAT IS IT?
This toolkit use video as a powerful medium to express our ideas and creativity.
We provide resources to each step of your production. This steps are:
- Plan it!
- Record it!
- Share it!
This toolkit want to collect the basics skills on media literacy that already exist and propose a set of possible activities to work with youngsters that use the most powerful of video on the web.
To select and use the media dispositive on:
Media literacy basics
- We are opening a section with the sharpest questions that are the starting point of reflection on any Personal Video Projects.
- Who has made this message? So can I trust? Why?
- Who this message suppose that I am?
- How are the protagonist of the message portrayed? How are characterized?
- Which is the purpose of that message?
- What does the media relation with the content?
- There's any manipulation over the content or over the effect of the message that I perceive?
Transmedia storytelling basics
- AV formats descriptions
- AV teamwork and collaboration routines
- AV project work
- AV licences
WHY DO WE WANT TO USE IT?
- Youngsters love video!
- Video is a tool to inquiry the world!
- Video allow you share your thoughts with the world!
- Video as a media to explore your own identity!
- Video as a media to discover the other, to discover the world.
- Video as a framework. We learn how to recognize subjectivity on the selection and the point of view.
- Video as a carrot to work basic communication skills and it's fun!
---and because Nowadays media literacy is a basic skill.
Media literacy is the starting point in this toolkit. So we are going to introduce some basic ideas about it:
- The media eduaction is veary important to build the knowledge society because it contribute on the young people socialization process.
- The consumer that get media skills can become a more racional authonomous and be able to use media critically.
- Youngsters control media more than their parents. Parents lose control and youngsters become a wellknown and vulnerable target.
According to the FCOM: Media Literacy is the ability to access, understand and create communications in various contexts.
There are seven competition seven areas within the European Charter of Media Literacy:
- Effective use of technological means to access, store, retrieve and share content to find needs and individual or collective interests.
- Access and conduct of elections informed on a wide range of media forms and contents of different cultural and institutional sources.
- Understanding how and why media content is produced.
- Critical analysis of the techniques, languages and convecions utilitzatdes by the media and the means they agree.
- Creative use of medium to express and communicate ideas, information and opinions.
So learnig to use video we want to promote interdisciplinarity, communitarism, to be creative, to promote basic skills like writing, reading, speaking in public, to learn technology, to get self-fullfilment.
You can also see the definition of media literacy here!.
Aims of Personal Video Project
Media literacy stands for the capacity of write and reed media. A personal Video Project give the tools to do it. The final project could has different shapes it depends on what does the youngster want to do. So This toolkit would give the basic information on the tools but also on audiovisual language and the different forms that a media project has.
We want to play!Let's make it fun!'
Youngsters likes to use video to express their thoughts and wishes. There are some formats that they like and that they do watch and do. So that we think that is important we document them: self-portrait, city-walk, video-essay, mini-documentary, remix, video-clip, short-fiction, fan-fiction, live TV show.
We want to appropiate... Let'smake it remix!
It's a collage, it's a montage, it's a remix! The most important fact that anyone has to be aware on media is that all media messages no matter which channel or medium we are using are a CONSTRUCTION. They aren't neither a mirror, neither a window through which we can look at the real. This fact has a lot of consequences.To recognize the references, to learn what images and sounds we can use and how to do it. To learn the limits on the quote, and the property rights.
Transmedia could be understand as multi-platform but also when it refers to story it means a change on the conception of the storytelling. We want to share the basics of transmedia storytelling! We understand that this projects are transmedia. They have an audiovisual nature but that it's also digital and that is able to be on different screens, different channels, and that each one allows us to make our video project be more connected with our audience.
We share, so we are not pirates, so we are good citizens. We know that all texts are hypertext, so let's learn how to use creative commons, and open and free licenses, and repositories:
So we can search open material on 
-So this tool kit is made of:
We also want to use the personal video project...Lets get new media capacities!
WHO CAN USE IT?
- All personal videoprojects need time and teamwork to be done. But you can always choose a short lengh project to start and when the youngsters win practice and authonommy make more complex productions.
- This toolkit is use full for you if you are a youth worker, a teacher or if you are young and you want to be a digital creator!
WHAT CAN WE DO WITH A PERSONAL VIDEO PROJECT
This is one of the types of video that young people prefer to watch. So what we need here is that they find a song that they can make a video about and then go for it! They can work with a independent band they know or just find some song that they like with an creative commons license that make it able to be use. Then they have to plan the project, then search or record the best images, learn the most important technics to edition and post-production and finally use an properly license to share his work again!
HOW CAN WE MAKE IT?
WHAT DO WE NEED?
- Camera: Camcorder, digital camera, mobile camera.
- literary script
- Technical script
HOW CAN WE USE IT?
To use this toolkit you need a basic audiovisual set.
- First step: Here we propose you to look at this resource to choose the one that fits for you. It's cool and simple: http://makeinternettv.org/
- Second step: Now that you know which is your technical equipment you can talk with the young team you are going to work with and ask them which kind of project they want to do.
- Third step: Then, you can find a guide on the workshops that we propose you!
- Four step: Go for it!
WHAT ELSE DO WE NEED TO KNOW
- AV pedagogical framework:
- "Conference: Tisseron". Fantastic explortation on the relation of young people and media. Don't you want to know more about it? Here you have his slides!
- EACEA documents on media literacy. Don't you want to make a look? There are here!
- Henry Jenkins and a lot of contributions are responsible of a media education manifesto. Don't you want to read it? It's here! 
- Here you can find a veary good guide that will help you to apply any activity related to media literacy.
- The kit is partly a product of the “MENTOR project” co-funded by UNESCO and European Commission and supported by CLEMI, CEDEFOP and Mizar Multimedia. Inspired by the late
Lluis Artigas de Quadra (UNESCO), this programme brought together scholars and practitioners of media education from the Mediterranean Basin and discussed basic training of teachers, modular curriculum, and national and international strategies for development of media education (including a website www.mediamentor.org). We thank all participants and contributors who were part of the "MENTOR Project". We strongly recomend it. Take a look! [ http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001492/149278e.pdf]